


Almost a year ago, our family moved to Germany. My husband and I have lived abroad before but it has been many years. Our son and grand daughter also made the move with us. Oh, and two of the family pets made the trip as well. Adjustments have been difficult, at best for most of us. My time has been spent trying to sort out ways for all of us to feel that we have that at home feeling of contentment here. Believe me, that has been a full time job that has left me feeling somewhat a failure. Recently, I met a lady who's husband is also here temporarily working with the same company in which my husband works. She gave me a whole new prospective concerning my mission impossible allusive search for that down home feeling. Her family also encountered the same little quirky differences that make you feel out of place, that fill you with lots of questions that have no reasonable answers. Instead of looking for the answers or feeling that you have just stepped into an alien planet, her family simply gave the situation a name - NQR - for not quite right. So, from time to time, I would just like to share my wonder and amazement from my new place of residence in the NQR.
Since I have been told that a picture is worth a thousand words, today I will leave you with a couple of my favorite sights around my new hometown. The first picture is the Code of Arms of Baiersdorf where we now are registered as taxpaying residents including the pets. We paid a pet tax of ninety Euro last year for our two dogs - NQR! The next picture is of a few of our neighbors, the Stork family. We can see them from our third floor bedroom. Some days when I am out on the terrace they fly by. Thank goodness they have not dropped anything off at our house. And finally, a view of our roses which I plan to spend more time enjoying and less time trying to figure out the NQR.
5 comments:
Stopping by via Ginger's link! I feel guilty for tagging her, so of course I now feel guilty that you've been tagged.
I think I will post a disclaimer that I will never participate again. I just couldn't NOT do it this time, because the person who tagged me is a lovely gracious reviewer! LOL
Elaine, I know you will adjust where you are..you are headed in the right direction. Look around you and make memories to bring back with you. Each day can be a memory that's good. I love the roses and must say be careful..the storks are known to bring little surprises. ha ha You are having a chance to see a part of the world so many will never be able to see..take pictures and enjoy where you are and just remember wherever you go you get new friends. susan L.
Elaine, I know you are torn between savoring the experience and longing for familiarity of home. My husband had tried to get posted to Germany for a couple of years when our kids were young. We didn't make it, but he ended up traveling there frequently for several years. I was able to go with him several times. It's a beautiful place, especially in the south. I hope you can gather good memories for when you return stateside.
My daughter and her husband live in Germany.He's in the army, stationed at Graff. She loves it and the experience of traveling extensively to places she would not otherwise have seen. But she does get homesick. We visited them in August 08 and I fell in love with Germany. I would love to see more romance novels set there. So, maybe if an opportunity presents itself, you can write one! Your beautiful rose garden would make a lovely backdrop!
So interesting to learn about the quirks of Germany. I had no idea. Thanks for sharing your experiences there.
JWIsley(at)aol(dot)com
Post a Comment